Friday, May 8, 2009

Lost Generation

At the beginning of this clip, I was very shocked at the statements that were made. I think that the way the different phrases were written grabbed my attention and made me think about my generation. I really liked how once the statements were read backwards, it changed the context and what was said completley. I think that this is so true about attitudes about life. We always rely on what experts say and research that "proves" how society will be in the future, however I truly believe that it is up to us to change the path that we are all on. For example, the clip said that we will continue to destroy the environment, however when read backwards, we can change the environment and care for it so it is not destroyed. I think this is true for the values that we have in society and where we want to be headed. The clip talked about divorce and valuing money over family, and I believe it is how we are raised including our own personal experiences that shape our personal values about these topics.

I don't believe I am in a lost generation, certainly there are times where I am upset at the way my generation thinks about certain things but overall, no I don't think we are a lost generation. For example, I understand the significance that technology has in our society today, however when I see how children are glued to their cell phones or now people are reading books online or with new applications for their phones it honestly disgusts me. I think that people are losing ways of communicating that are much more personal and children especially do not know how to play or interact with each other if it doesn't involve some sort of technology. But despite my frusterations with how dependent we are becoming on technology, I think that our generation is very conscientious of the environment and I hope that the focus on family instead of money continues to be a strong value that we hold on to. This clip was done in a very creative way that pushed people to think about what we want from society, and how my generation is responsible to define our values and the way we want to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment