Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Educating Esme Group Project

My group read the book Educating Esme: Diary of a Teacher's First Year by Esme Raji Codell for our I- movie project. This book was very helpful in understanding the struggles and challenges that a first year teacher might experience. Her thoughts about conflict resolution between a variety of people that she works with on an everyday basis is important to recgonize and seeing how she resolved certain conflicts with administration, students and parents was really insightful.

I think that as a student learning about education, the first year of teaching seems really daunting right now just because I'm still in the learning process. This book showed me how important it is for new teachers to be confident about what they are doing in the classroom and while it is important to listen to fellow colleagues, sticking true to your beliefs is essential. There are multiple ways to be an effective teacher and willing to take risks that help the students learn better is a crucial aspect to teaching. Esme's experiences with teaching was very helpful to read about and the movie we created helped me take what I learned in the book and think about it with and Educational Psychology lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment